Senior Software Engineer, Data Science
Imagine a super-resolution microscope so easy to use that anyone on earth can take high-resolution images of bacteria, proteins, cells, and even genes. Imagine the same microscope accelerating cancer research, pharmaceutical development, and virus identification by empowering scientists with real-time, nanoscale imagery of cells and proteins. We’re building this technology at ONI!
Our aim is to make super-resolution imaging so easy and the insights so impactful that it becomes widely used by scientists and leads to radical discoveries and innovations. To achieve this goal, our platform will automate every stage of the workflow, integrating the Nanoimager, a microfluidics device (Roboflow) and an online analysis package (CODI) with next-gen super-resolution assays and application-specific microfluidic consumables.
We will soon be launching our first kit which is designed for extracellular vesicles. With one click, the kit captures, images and analyses these tiny particles allowing researchers to characterise their biomarkers for the first time. We are also developing a revolutionary new super-resolution technology called Every Molecule Counts (EMC) that will give our customers a new level of confidence about the biology underlying their images. EMC technology will be integrated into all of our future consumables.
To drive all this innovation we have built a world-class R&D team with colleagues from disciplines including biology, computer science, mathematics and physics. A core principle behind our work is to be detailed in our thinking, but to make products that are simple and intuitive so they can be put in the hands of anyone irrespective of experience, background, or training. We are excited to welcome new team members who share these values and who are excited by our vision.
Currently employing a diverse team of 120+ people, representing over 40 nationalities, ONI is in a period of rapid growth. We closed our $75m Series B round at the start of 2022, led by ARCH Ventures and Casdin Capital, putting our post money valuation at c. $225M, to drive the development of our next generation of products. What we have achieved so far is just the beginning and we are always looking for passionate people to join us on this journey.
We are looking for a Senior Software Engineer who will support the team that develops and deploys leading edge data analysis tools and solutions to the users of our microscope. You will develop creative methods that can extract information from these results and use software engineering skills to consolidate these methods into usable tools. This role is a fantastic opportunity to work on ground breaking applications for super-resolution and single-molecule microscopy as well as to help shape this new diverse team.
As an experienced member of the team, you will be at the heart of developing new tools and techniques for super-resolution data analysis. You will take a leading role working closely with Data Scientists, Software Engineers, Application Development Scientists, and Hardware R&D, to create a bridge between the back-end and the data science team, mentoring, coaching and empowering data scientists, and helping provide infrastructure and system support to help supercharge the work of the data science team, and increase the delivery of code into the cloud platform.
- Drive communications between data scientists and backend cloud developers to deliver fast and effective research tools
- Be confident in applying domain specific knowledge to the development of algorithms.
- Have a strong background in mathematics, probability, and statistics.
- Be able to work independently or as part of a team.
- Be comfortable with ambiguity and complexity, thrive in group discussions and be an able communicator with colleagues with diverse technical backgrounds.
- Have a passion for learning, working in a team, teaching others & making an impact on the world.
- Greater than 4 years experience as a software developer in a professional environment.
- Have an academic background (BSc, MSc, or PhD) in Computer Science, or STEM related fields.
- Strong familiarity with the python ecosystem, and available tools, and best practices of python in the context of both Data Science and delivery of production code.
- Strength in packaging using pypi, and optionally conda, or alternatives, including compiled C++ accelerated bindings (Pybind11) across platforms.
- Strength and familiarity using Cmake to build C++ projects across Linux and Windows platforms.
- Strong understanding of C++ ecosystem, standards, and comfortability navigating and learning unknown code-bases.
- Strength in maintenance and establishment of CI/CD workflows for python and C++, including integration testing and deployment, using common solutions such as Github Actions or CircleCI.
- Experience utilizing Docker to enhance development, testing, and deployment.
- Sound knowledge of basic mathematics and statistics concepts
- Confidence communicating between scientists and backend cloud developers
Capabilities for Success
- GPU acceleration using CUDA.
- MLOps; with deployment and or training in cloud infrastructure, or deployment of C++ compiled models in real-time.
- Image processing experience.
- Strength in development and implementation of computationally intensive numerical algorithms.
- Experience with cloud and web-based solutions and toolings, including tools such as Django, Kubernetes, Celery, RabbitMQ, on platforms such as GCP, or AWS
What We Offer:
- Generous annual leave + public holidays
- 4 well-being days per year
- Equity in a growing company
- Flexible family leave policy
- 401K plan
- Comprehensive health insurance plan (medical, dental, vision)
For On-Site Employees
- Gym on-site
At ONI, we believe that our diversity and differences are a key ingredient for better decision-making, a richer, more inclusive culture, and ultimately, our collective success. ONI is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.